The immune system is compromised during cancer. The body’s immune system is unable to fight against infections. Hence, conscious food decisions are to be made to strengthen immunity. This involves consuming food that provides enough calories for the day, an adequate amount of protein to build muscles, vitamins, minerals, and fluid to maintain the body.
A common concern among cancer patients is abrupt or unintended weight loss. This occurs due to chemotherapy and its side effects such as nausea, change in taste buds, and loss of appetite. Hence, the right nutrition plan is needed which maintains a healthy weight in the patient. One diet cannot fit all patients. The diet has to be customized based on your cancer stage and symptoms. Our team at IOSPL creates an individualized diet plan to fit your needs.
We recommend foods rich in nutrients that help in:
- Maintaining a healthy weight. Keeping up strength and energy.
- Reducing the risk of infections.
- Increasing toleration capacity for treatment-related side effects.
- Healing and faster recovery.
- Increasing the body's response to treatment.
- Reducing side effects.
A diet and nutritional counselling for cancer patients are crucial as it helps them to remain healthy, keep their body tissues healthy, and manage their side effects. The patients are recommended to:
- Eat a balanced diet by including raw vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and lean protein
- Eat healthy omega 3-fats found in walnuts, salmon, and flaxseeds.
- Shy away from alcohol and cigarette
- Eat food rich in vitamin D
- Eat high fiber foods.
- Avoid sugar and sugary beverages
- Consume more liquids such as fresh fruit juices and coconut water.
- Avoid red meat and eat eggs, cheese, fish, beans, or tofu
- Eat small meals throughout the day if you feel nauseous